We’re facing unprecedented human rights challenges in Australia with the accelerating erosion of democratic freedoms, the weakening of vital safeguards and diminishing respect for international law.
I’m asking you to stand with us in our efforts not just to hold the line, but to advance the protection of human rights in Australian law, policy and practice.
Please support our End-of-Financial-Year Fundraising Appeal: Donate Now.
Our strategic mix of legal action, advocacy, research and capacity-building delivers both justice for individuals and systemic change.
We stand up for human rights…
- Challenging excessive police powers in the Northern Territory which disproportionately affect Aboriginal people.
- Contesting the Government’s power to run and fund offshore detention centres.
- Taking action to ensure women can access reproductive health services without being harassed and intimidated.
- Establishing important limits on the Government’s powers to detain and turn back asylum seekers at sea.
- Alerting the UN to how Australia’s asylum seeker policies systematically violate the Convention Against Torture and other Ill-treatment.
- Highlighting Australia’s failure to protect the human rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Supporting the passage of a landmark UN resolution on the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people.
- Holding the Government to account for its increasing disrespect for scrutiny by the UN system.
- Securing historic legislative reforms to erase unjust criminal convictions left-over from when homosexuality was a crime.
- Pursuing greater transparency for Australia’s involvement in covert US drone strikes.
- Defeating Queensland’s unnecessary and discriminatory voter ID laws.
- Pushing for law reform to ensure Australian authorities aren’t complicit in the death penalty abroad.
- Establishing an unprecedented coalition of national organisations to ‘change the record’ on the crisis of over-imprisonment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Successfully campaigning to retain strong and effective protections against racial vilification.
- Providing expert legal support for the push for marriage equality.
- Leading advocacy against government attacks on institutions and safeguards that protect our democracy and human rights.
I’m so proud of the impact the HRLC is having – and this is only a sample of what our dedicated team of just eight staff have achieved.
As always, none of this is possible without support from our pro bono and community partners – and from people like you.
With less than 6% of our budget coming from government sources, private donations from people like you are vital to our success.
For every dollar invested in our work, our partnerships enable us to leverage five times that value in pro bono work from the nation’s leading law firms and barristers.
The Human Rights Law Centre will always provide principled human rights leadership. Stand with us: Support the End-of-Financial-Year Appeal now.
Hugh de Kretser
Executive Director, Human Rights Law Centre