In February 2007, the HRLRC, together with the National Association of Community Legal Centres and Rights Australia, prepared a Briefing Paper on Key Human Rights Issues for Sir Nigel Rodley of the UN Human Rights Committee. Sir Nigel visited Australia from 22 - 28 February 2007. The Briefing Paper considers a range of contemporary human rights issues in Australia, including:
- the entrenchment of basic human rights;
- the human rights of Indigenous Australians;
- asylum-seeker policy and practice, including immigration detention;
- counter-terrorism laws and measures;
- the detention of David Hicks;
- mental health law, policy and practice; and
- Australia's policy on the death penalty.