The need for strong, principled and independent action on human rights in Australia is as pressing now as it has ever been.
Faced with ongoing attempts to whittle away rights protections and a blatant disregard for international human rights law commitments, we need your support to stand up for a fairer Australia.
Please add your voice to our work by donating to our End of Financial Year Appeal.
The Human Rights Law Centre deploys a potent mix of strategic litigation, evidence-based advocacy and targeted capacity building. Our unique and proven model delivers justice for individuals and systemic change. But we can’t do it alone.
Less than 15% of our funding is from government. Your private donations enable us to be truly independent, responsive and effective. Your support enables us promote and protect human rights in Australia and beyond. Your support is critical to our impact.
Please donate now to our End of Financial Year Appeal.
Over the past year we have:
- launched a legal action to ensure women can safely access reproductive health services without being harassed and intimidated;
- brought vital transparency and accountability by participating in the PNG National Court’s inquiry into the human rights of asylum seekers on Manus Island;
- addressed the UN’s Human Rights Council on how Australia’s asylum seeker policies violate international law;
- secured an unprecedented commitment from key national organisations to tackle the shocking over imprisonment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- successfully argued in the High Court that the Federal Government has the power to pass laws for marriage equality;
- produced a ground breaking report highlighting the dangers of Australia’s cooperation with the Sri Lankan military in the one-eyed pursuit of ‘stopping the boats’;
- made important contributions in a landmark High Court case that provided legal recognition of the reality of gender diversity in our society;
- secured the commitment of the Victorian Government to erase the criminal records of homosexual men convicted for consensual sex prior to decriminalisation;
- worked to expose Australia’s role in extrajudicial killings by the USA’s drone program; and
- played a leading role in advocating for strong and effective protections against racial vilification.
These are just some examples of our impact over the past year. We need your support now to continue and extend that impact.
Our strong pro bono partnerships with leading law firms and barristers maximise the impact of your donations. For every dollar invested in the Human Rights Law Centre, we leverage around five dollars of pro bono legal support.
Your support for our End of Financial Year Appeal is vital so we can plan our strategic action to address the challenges of the year ahead.
Please donate now: www.hrlc.org.au/donate
Hugh de Kretser, Executive Director,
Human Rights Law Centre
PS – Tickets are still available for our Annual Human Rights Dinners in Melbourne and Sydney featuring a keynote address from global human rights champion Hina Jilani.