Despite reports today that all children and their families will finally be evacuated from Nauru and amidst mounting public pressure to end offshore detention, it’s also been reported that Canstruct has had its contract to run the Nauru detention centre renewed.
Keren Adams, Director of Legal Advocacy at the Human Rights Law Centre said Canstruct must immediately end its involvement in this intentionally abusive system.
“Today there are welcome reports that the Government may be finally conceding that kids on Nauru must be evacuated to Australia. Yet at the same time we hear news that Canstruct will continue its complicity running Australia’s abusive offshore detention centre there.”
"The offshore detention centre on Nauru continues to be the site of horrific and ongoing violations, including illegal detention, sexual assault and child abuse. What kind of organisation looks at that abuse and sees an opportunity for profit? There is simply no ethical way for a company to run this centre," said Ms Adams.
Canstruct’s contract was due to end Tuesday. Reports today, however, suggest the contract has been renewed for six months. Canstruct was awarded the detention centre contract last year after Spanish company Ferrovial said it did not want to renew its deal with the Australian Government.
"It’s been five long years of misery and suffering. Australia’s offshore detention is, by design, a regime of cruelty intended to breed hopelessness and despair. Canstruct say they are a family company. If that really is the case it surely recognises that the indefinite warehousing of men, women and children is not an acceptable business for any company." said Ms Adams.
Michelle Bennett, Director of Communications, Human Rights Law Centre, 0419 100 519