The Human Rights Law Centre is supporting the first international conference to present a thorough judicial and academic analysis of Victoria's human rights jurisprudence produced under the Victorian Human Rights Charter.
A host of distinguished domestic and international speakers, including Lord David Neuberger and Sir Anthony Mason, will consider the following:
- The interpretive techniques employed by the judiciary under the Charter;
- The role of proportionality under the Charter, particularly with respect to the human rights obligations of public authorities;
- The impact of Charter jurisprudence on specific practice areas and groups such as criminal law, children and discrimination and equal opportunity law;
- A comparative analysis of the role of judges in human rights jurisprudence; and
- The contribution of Victorian human rights jurisprudence to the future direction of human rights law.
Video and materials now available here: http://www.judicialcollege.vic.edu.au/public-events/human-rights-conference-materials